Wednesday, January 12, 2011

Weekly Update

So I went out paddling at Sewer Wave in -20 weather last Sunday! Had a blast on the wave and even had more fun trying to take off the iced up gear. Adam tried out my Superstar on the wave and had a hard time doing simple tricks...The rocker profile is very different and theres way less volume at the front... Its crazy how different the 2008 and the 2010 models are and it showed me how limited I will be in my learning with this boat. Ive decided to put it up for sale in hopes to get a 2010 model by spring time.

I also met with Mike McKay this week. He is a pro paddler, part of the Jackson Kayak Team and Co-Founder of Currents and Hell or High Water Festival on the Petawawa, in order to buy his Jackson Villain L Creekboat. He used it on the Romaine River in northern QC and on the Moose in upstate NY and the boat was featured in the "Better than you imagined" movie. Its basically brand new! He is asking half the price of what it is worth so I couldnt pass on this and I committed to buying it. Ill be meeting with him at the Petawawa Townhall next week as the paddling community is gathering to show our discontent with the new hydro project that might be affecting the Pet River. Im glad that I will be part of the HOHW Fest this year as it might be one of the last if they go ahead with the hydro project. Here is the boat in question!

As for paddling this week, I am down with a Nasty cold and im going to keep quiet. I will surely head out to the CUKC Pool Session as Adam is lending me his 2010 All Star, the smaller version of the Superstar, So I can decide if I want to lose the extra 20 pounds and paddle the Allstar or stay safe and get the Superstar. My guess is : if I want to perform and grow as a paddler, I definately should lose the 20 pounds and get in better shape.. at over 215 right now, I am not in the best shape I have been or in my healthy zone for my age either. In the next weeks that are left of the winter months, I will be staying home, training my A$$ off and saving money to pay off for my gear. I want this summer to be all about paddling and not have to worry about anything else.

As for the place I wish I was paddling this week, that would be the Elk river in BC. After watching Adam's 2010 recap video, it made me just want to forget about work and responsabilities and drive out west.
Look at 9:45 in the following video for my buddy Brandon Fasan's beatdown.. The Towback of that hole was 10 feet large..A swim there wouldve been the end of him. Luckily enough.. Adam got gim out with a towrope. Thats why, kids, I am getting a Creekboat...you shouldnt be running sh*t like that in a playboat!

No comments:

Post a Comment